Saturday, February 22, 2014

Tomato soup for the sick and lazy

I woke up with a terrible stomach ache, one that was well anticipated and I had already arranged for a work from home situation. Either way I realised I need something that goes down gently without much turbulence.

So I  started making the tomato soup.

Things you will need for this tomato soup:

  1. 7 medium sized tomatoes
  2. 2 long carrots
  3. 1 pressure cooker
  4. oil
  5. whole jeera seeds
  6. bay leaf
  7. 8 cloves of garlic
  8. ginger powder
  9. Spaghetti
  10. Italian basil
  11. lemon grass
  12. coriander powder
  13. garam masala
  14. aamchur powder
  15. salt
  16. sugar


Poked 7 medium tomatoes through and through with a knife and set it on the microwave in a deep dish for 10 minutes while I minced 2 carrots.

Took a pressure cooker, put in 1.5 tsp olive oil, 1/2 tsp jeera seeds and 1 bay leaf.

Then I added the carrots and fried them till they lost their moisture.

By this time the tomatoes were done, and I squashed the now thoroughly cooked tomatoes with a fork.

Lot of online websites suggested that I peel and mix and remove the pulp, but if I were ready to perspire that much then this wouldn't be a lazy blog is it?

Now we add the squished tomatoes to carrots and stir.

Then I microwave 8 cloves of garlic in the microwave for 20 seconds easily peels off the skin (this way of peeling garlic is a great time saver and quite fun too). Using the handy mortar and pestle I grind it to a paste.

I have a ginger powder that's rather handy and put in 2 tsp of ginger powder, all the masalas at home - coriander powder, garam masala, aamchur powder & pepper. 

Then I add about 10-15 strands of spaghetti, 12 leaves of Italian basil and about 2 inches long sprigs (about 10 in number) of lemongrass to the mixture, add 2 tbsps of salt, 1/4 tsp of sugar to balance the acidic taste of tomatoes. Also taste post its ready - namak swaad anusaar! And about a ton of water - kidding, about 750 ml should do.


Then set the pressure cooker lid and wait for two whistles when the aroma of basil and lemongrass fills your home that's when you know you are ready to get fit, as this soup heals the soul.


This is how the soup finally looks. =)

2 comments:

  1. The last time i ate Ramits' food i did not see daylight for a few months!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha... Very funny Rojan! :D thanks for checking out the blog .

      Delete