Saturday, March 15, 2014

Chilli Soya Chunks

I was so excited on having a good day at work that not only did I make the moong dal, I also decided to venture out and make soya chunks for the first time in my life.

I had always seen my mum cook soya extensively so I knew the basics. Pressure cook it till 1 whistle, wash, drain, squeeze. But then what? To that question a leaflet fell out from the soya box with several recipes. Found one that I liked and rehashed it to my liking. Less effort, time and oil. :P This was a 2-time success thing. I cooked it the first time and realised it needs more zing and added "tadka" the second time. So have patience and you will know how you can make this yummy Chilli Soya.




Ok, so things you will need to make this:

Dry Red chillis: 2
Green chillis: 2
Hing / asfoetida: 1 pinch
Onion: 1 big, chilli style big chunks
Tomatoes: 2 + 2
Ginger: 3 + 2 tbsp
Garlic: 5 cloves
Oil: 1 tbsp
Maggi Chicken Stock Cube: 1 (optional) or chole masala: 2 tbsp
Soya chunks: 1 small cup
Garam Masala:  1 tsp
Chilli powder: 1/2 tsp
Coriander powder: 1/2 tsp
Vinegar: 1 tsp
Soya Sauce: 1 tbsp

Add oil to a pan and add 2 split red chillis. Then add the big chunks of onions and stir till onions turn pink, add a pinch of salt. Cut similar big chunks for tomatoes. Then add the tomatoes, soya sauce and vinegar to the fried onions and stir for a minute or so.

 

Now add garam masala, coriander powder, ginger garlic and salt. Now add in the soya chunks and 2 glasses of water.



I simmered the heat for it to cook slowly till the all the water had evaporated. Then added chopped capsicum to garnish. At this point this is how the soya looked.














It looked better face to face but the taste didn't even barely match how good it looked. So I went in for a second round of internet snooping and realised my blunder.

Now this is what followed.

I got a pressure cooker added 1/2 tsp oil and a pinch of hing and two split green chillis. I again cooked two tomatoes by poking it thoroughly and then microwaved it for 3 montues. This makes it give out allll its juices and looses its posture and saves you so much of time on the whole run. Now I add this puree to the hot cooker; which in turn splat a lot on my head, funny but could have been scarily dangerous too. Now I add a maggi magic cube, you can also add 2 tbsp chole masala if you don't have the cubes at home. Now once the cube has got completely mixed through the mixture I added the nutrela chunks and put on the lid, simmer the heat and let the whistle blow once. And voila, the best Chilli Soya I have ever had!

The best praise definitely has to be my mother applauding to the taste of this chilli.

Hope you like my recipe too. If you do like this post,please do subscribe. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment